We are having these pistachio and sumac lamb patties that my little chefling loves to help me make. We like to have this with a simple garlicky yoghurt and cucumber dip. All the mixing, kneading and shaping makes for a perfect weekend cooking activity with your little one. You could always make these into kebabs and barbecue them, however for a quick meal I like to simply shallow fry several of these together until I get them all golden brown and crusty. We always make a few extra for her lunch box the next day.
Lamb, sumac and pistachio patties with a yoghurt dip and salad.
For the patties:
1 cup shelled pistachios
- 1 onion
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp dried parsley or 2 tsp fresh parsley
- 400 grams minced lamb
- 2 tsp cumin powder
- 2 tsp sumac
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper powder
- 2 tbsp oil
For the dip:
- 1 cucumber
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 200 ml yoghurt (drained)
- ½ tsp of cumin powder
- ½ tsp dried parsley or 1 tsp of fresh parsley
- ½ tsp salt
For the salad:
- 2 cups parsley
- 2 carrots
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp salt
- Blitz the pistachios until they are finely ground. Chop the onion and beat the eggs. Chop the parsley if using fresh.
- Now, combine the ground pistachios, chopped onion, beaten eggs with all the remaining ingredients for the patties except for Lurpak’s Cooking Liquid. Mix well and shape it into round and flat 10-12 patties.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan and shallow fry them all, about 5-6 minutes on each side till you get a nice crust and the meat is cooked. You might need to do this in batches if the pan is small.
- While the patties are getting ready, grate the cucumber and squeeze out the excess water. Grate the garlic cloves. Chop the parsley if using fresh. Now combine the cucumber, garlic, and parsley with the drained yoghurt, cumin powder, and salt.
- For the salad, simply chop the parsley, grate the carrots, combine and add salt and pepper.
- Serve the patties with the dip and the salad. Enjoy.
Images: If you like any of the pictures on the blog and would like to use those please write to me. I put in hours of work behind each post and would love to share it with you but it would hurt me if you use those without my permission. Just ask!