It is getting really warm and today for lunch all my little girl and I wanted was a light curry and rice followed by a nap. We are having a pineapple coconut curry that has been tempered in butter that gives it not only a flavour but also helps release the fragrance of the mustard seeds, curry leaves, and red chillies into the curry. We love it and each time I have made it for a new set of people and announced there is pineapple curry on the new menu; the first reaction is of complete disbelief; a curry made entirely with a fruit! I smirk and serve. The first spoonful is always with a doubt in their minds and thereafter they go back converted for life and with a generous extra for home. Do give this recipe a try, you will be a convert too, I can assure you that.
For the marinade:
- ¼ tsp mustard powder
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- 2-4 tsp of sugar depending on the sourness of pineapple
- ¼ tsp salt
For the curry:
- 500 grams pineapple
- 1 cup coconut milk
- ½ tsp mustard powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp butter
- ½ tsp of mustard seeds
- 18-20 curry leaves
- 2 red dry chillies
- Chopped coriander for garnish
For the rice:
- 200g basmati rice or rice of your choice
- 400 ml of water to cook the rice
- Peel and chop the pineapple into cubes. Combine all the ingredients for the marinade and rub all over the pineapple. Leave it to sit for about 15 minutes.
- Take the coconut milk, mustard powder, salt and 1 cup of water and mix well. Keep aside.
- In a large pan, heat the butter, when hot add the mustard seeds. When they begin to splutter add the curry leaves. After about 30 seconds add the dry red chillies.
- After a few seconds, add the pineapple. Lower the heat and cook for about 10 minutes.
- While the curry is cooking, Bring 400 ml of water to boil and cook the rice till done. Drain any extra water.
- Now add the coconut milk-mustard powder mix and add to the pan. Cook for 5-7 minutes.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve the curry with rice.
Images: If you like any of the pictures on the blog and would like to use those please write to me. I put in hours of work behind each post and would love to share it with you but it would hurt me if you use those without my permission. Just ask!