A Breakfast Pizza to jumpstart the week on Sunday. The first day of the week is always a little tough. After sleeping in late and having unlimited fun over the weekend, it always requires a little more than the normal enthusiasm to get dressed for school and these mini “pizzas” always help! Made on leftover bread (pita, arabic, naan or even chapathi), using a cream cheese spread, cherry tomatoes, rocket leaves, sliced avocado and a sunny side on top not only are they super healthy and wholesome to keep their little bodies well-nourished for the day but also unlike a regular pizza there is minimal cooking involved leaving me with enough time to plait her long hair! It’s my little chefling’s favourite breakfast “sandwich”.
- ½ tsp of olive oil
- 1 egg
- 2-3 cherry tomatoes, cut in halves
- Salt to taste
- Pepper (optional)
- One round bread of your choice (pita or naan or even a chapathi)
- 2 tbsp of any cream cheese spread of your choice
- 1/4th avocado (cut into slices)
- A couple of rocket leaves (or greens of your choice, like baby spinach)
- In a slightly large frying pan, heat the oil and once the pan is hot lower the heat. Break the egg gently into the pan so the yolk remains intact.
- While the egg is getting cooked, in the same pan on the side add the cherry tomatoes to slightly cook them (optional; blistering makes them a little sweet but if your child doesn’t like cooked tomatoes then raw cherry tomatoes are good too).
- Cook till the egg white becomes opaque and the yolk is set and the tomatoes are blistered (It will take about 2 minutes).
- In the meantime, slightly warm the bread on a flat pan and spread the cream cheese on it. Add a few rocket leaves and then slide on the egg and tomatoes on top. Add avocado slices.
- Add salt (remember most spreads have a bit of salt as well) and pepper (if using) and your breakfast pizza is ready. Cut into wedges with a pizza cutter if you like. My little girl loves to tear the bread though and dip that into the soft set yolk.
*This recipe also makes for a great lunchbox snack, simply replace the sunny side egg with slices of boiled egg and roll the bread into a wrap.
Images: If you like any of the pictures on the blog and would like to use those please write to me. I put in hours of work behind each post and would love to share it with you but it would hurt me if you use those without my permission. Just ask!