We love baking mini muffins; both sweet and savoury. Yes, muffins don’t always have to be sweet! When made using the right ingredients it is a great snack to have around.
One of Sara’s all time favourite are these Cheese and Pesto Mini Muffins. Flavours of Mozzarella, green pesto, green olives and sun dried tomatoes come together and trust me it is difficult to stop once you start popping them into your mouth.
Muffins lend themselves to savoury ingredients beautifully so once you have mastered this really simple recipe, it will be fun to experiment with different combinations of cheeses and vegetables. Sweet onion and spoonfuls of goat cheese, figs and creamy brie or celery and blobs of blue cheese. All work well.
Add a some ham or turkey salami or bits of bacon, if you like. Stir in some strips of blistered red peppers or capers. Add toasted nuts or sprinkle loads of herbs. Enjoy them straight out of the oven or cold with some chutney on the side. Oh the possibilities! My mouth is watering.
Make a complete meal by adding a soup or a salad like we did or simply put it into their lunch box for school. Perfect for all those picnics in the pleasant weather right now too. Get the recipe for this filling Indian Spiced Sweet Potato Soup here.
Cheese and Pesto Mini Muffins
Makes 24 mini muffins
- 50 grams unsalted butter
- 225 grams whole wheat flour
- 3.5 tsp baking powder
- A pinch of salt
- 75 grams mozzarella cheese, grated
- 2 eggs
- 6 tbsp milk
- 1 tbsp green pesto
- 2 tbsp green olives
- 3 tbsp sun dried tomatoes, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Brush a min muffin tray with oil or line it with 24 mini cases.
- Melt the butter over low heat and leave aside to cool. Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl and stir in half of the mozzarella cheese. In another bowl, beat the eggs with the milk and pesto.
- Pour the egg mixture into the flour, the fold in with the cooler butter and chopped olives.
- Spoon into the muffins cases, then top each one with ½ tsp sun dried tomatoes and the remaining grated cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until well risen and golden. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool slightly.
- Store them in an air tight container in the refrigerator if not consuming immediately (They freeze well too). Great for the lunch box or for after school snacks. Add a warm soup or a salad to make it a complete meal.
Images: If you like any of the pictures on the blog and would like to use those please write to me. I put in hours of work behind each post and would love to share it with you but it would hurt me if use those without my permission. Just ask!