Keeping loads of vegetables grilled/roasted to add to our lunches and dinners is such a life saver. All that I need to do later is to add a grain, some greens and some delicious cheese and within minutes there is a wholesome and nutritious “meal in a bowl” on the dinner table. There are no “I don’t know what to cook/ no time to cook” moments during the week, I can tell you that for sure!
The sweetness of the roasted pumpkin goes really well with the saltiness of the feta. I like to add a few fresh greens, nuts for crunch and couscous to make it a complete meal.
Pumpkin, Couscous and Feta “Meal in a Bowl”.
Makes 4 “Meal in a Bowl”
- 900 grams pumpkin (with skin or 850 grams without skin)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp five-spice powder (or just some cinnamon powder)
- 1 tsp red chilli flakes
- 2 ½ tsp salt or to taste
- 250 grams couscous
- ½ tsp paprika
- 1 large red onion
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar or regular vinegar
- 1 tsp of sugar
- 200 grams of feta
- A handful of greens
- Peanuts or nuts of your choice for crunch
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Chop up the pumpkin into cubes and toss it into a baking tray along with olive oil, 1 tsp five spice powder, chilli flakes and 1 tsp of salt. Roast for about 40-45 minutes.
- While the pumpkin is in the oven, add ½ tsp of salt, 1 tsp five spice powder and paprika to the couscous and prepare the couscous according to the directions on the packet.
- Halve and finely slice the red onion and leave it to sit in a bowl along with the vinegar, 1 tsp salt, and sugar. Cut the feta into cubes.
- Assemble the bowl: Divide the roasted pumpkin and couscous equally into four bowls. Add the feta cubes, a handful of greens and onions to each one. Sprinkle peanuts on top.
- Toss well and enjoy!
Images: If you like any of the pictures on the blog and would like to use those please write to me. I put in hours of work behind each post and would love to share it with you but it would hurt me if you use those without my permission. Just ask!