Such a lovely time of the year, the weather is simply gorgeous which means you can indulge, holidays are on which means you can be relaxed in the kitchen and finally the market is bursting with such lovely produce that is too hard to ignore. And this galette is exactly that and more.
Buttery dough, caramelized onions, juicy tomatoes, grilled zucchini slices, pungent blue cheese, fresh rosemary and roasted pinenuts. Perfect with a side of green leaves and some bubbly! I used my Froothie Optimum 9400 High Speed Vortex Blender to make the dough for the galette a first for me.
I have had great success testing the other functions like making nut butters and nut flours, soups, sorbets, et al but I was really skeptical whether making a dough that will come together as a soft ball in seconds will be possible and it did! Let’s just I will be making more galettes with all the vibrant and and local produce in the days to come!
Tomato, Zucchini and Blue Cheese Galette
For the crust
- 5 cups all-purpose flour or whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tsp dried herbs
- 120 grams chilled butter, diced into cubes
- ¼ cup chilled water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, sliced
- fresh rosemary sprigs, chopped
- 100 grams blue cheese, crumbled
- 100 grams sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 zucchini, thinly sliced
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 tsp olive oil for drizzling
- 1 egg, beaten
- toasted pinenuts (optional)
- In the Froothie Optimum 9400 High Speed Vortex Blender, combine the flour, salt, pepper and chopped rosemary. Pulse twice to combine.
- Add the diced butter and pulse until fully combined and resembles crumbs.
- Add 1/4 cup ice water to the dough and pulse again till it comes together into a soft ball.
- Wrap the dough in clingflim and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- While the dough is chilling, add the olive oil to a pan over low heat. Add the sliced onions and of salt and pepper (remember the dough has salt and pepper too, so show restraint).
- Cook till caramelized (about 15 minutes) and stir in the chopped rosemary.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Unwrap the chilled dough, flour your work surface and roll out the dough to about 1/8 inches thickness.
- Transfer it to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Sprinkle half of the crumbled blue cheese and all of the grated cheddar cheese over it leaving a border on all sides that you will need to fold later on.
- Add the caramelized onions, zucchini slices, tomato slices and sliced cherry tomatoes.
- Drizzle some olive oil and sprinkle salt and pepper.
- Fold the edge of the dough to make a border. Brush the border with a beaten egg. Noe sprinkle the remaining blue cheese.
- Bake the galette for 35 minutes or until the crust is golden. Sprinkle the toasted pinenuts and serve with fresh greens if you like.
Before I end this post, here is the little present we want to share with you.
Hop on to the Froothie website and enter the code ok-froothie-80 that will entitle you to a discount if you do wish to get yourself an Optimum Blender 2nd generation 9200A or the Optimum 9400.
Happy cooking everyone and wish you all a very healthy and delicious 2017!
Images & Disclaimer: Personal album. If you like any of the pictures on the blog and would like to use those please write to me. I put in hours of work behind each post and would love to share it with you but it would hurt me if use those without my permission. Just ask! This blender was given to me by the team at Froothie for a test run before their launch in UAE. All the views expressed here are entirely mine.